Monday, 9 May 2011

Oaths are cast, weeds are carpeted



Back to the allotment today to measure properly, stake out, and inspect the plot more carefully.

We have thistles, a hawthorn bush whose stump will need poisoning :-( and a complete covering of weeds.

We met the Lewises there and Emma advised us that under the Queensberry Rules of Allotmenting, if Eda said we could re-use whatever we wanted from her allotment EVEN IF we only get half of it under the new rules, we could drag useful stuff from the half we don't want.

She's on the PCC - if she says so, it's fine!

So we dragged all the grimy carpet up from the lower end of the allotment and lo and behold, beneath it was pristine if rather dense and baked-looking rich clay soil.

We have rehomed the carpets to our own meadowland and Emma says in two weeks everything underneath them will have lost the will to live.

We have decided to strim and then dig the plot little by little - I gather rotorvators can cause more trouble than they solve in the end. Mike suggested nukeing with Round-Up but Jonathan wasn't so keen and it does sound a bit drastic.

Without having the tools to level the plot today we still got a lot done I think - William pruned the hawthorn down to the ground, I lopped thistles and stubborn tall weeds so the carpers could lie flat, we cleared a truly manky and biodegrading pile of green plastic sheeting, everyone helped lug carpets and bricks and Jonathan staked out the plot.

I'm so excited I even watched a video of Monty Don showing me how to hoe on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment